Azulejos

The azulejo refers to a typical form of Portuguese or Spanish painted, tin-glazed, ceramic tilework. They have become a typical aspect of Portuguese culture, manifesting without interruption during five centuries the consecutive trends in art.

Wherever one goes in Portugal, azulejos are to be found anywhere in the streets - inside and outside ordinary houses, churches, palaces, and even train or subway stations. They constitute a major aspect of Portuguese architecture as they are applied on walls, floors and even ceilings. They were not only used as an ornamental art form, but also had a specific functional capacity like temperature control at homes. Many azulejos chronicle major historical and cultural aspects of Portuguese history.

I couldn't stop photographing all the different patterns while I saw all this beauty around me in Portugal (I like to study patterns) - so I managed to gather a small photo collection of azulejos of my own.



















All images by Olga

And I have more patterns to come...

8 comments:

Floss said...

Oh, I'm crazy about those blue and white ones! It also helps to explain why the Portugese homes I see in French magazines are so vibrantly colourful. I find French style very monochrome and sometimes depressing, and if a Portugese home is featured it lifts the whole thing onto a new and cheerful plane! Have you encounterd the Portugese (now in the UK) blogger Concha?

http://saidosdaconcha.blogspot.com/

She has that love of colour. Thanks for these great photos, and for your kind comments on my blog too, Olga. I'm feeling a lot better these days.

Mami said...

How incredible they are! Really really great works!!thank you for wharing! what kinds of motives? flowers?

JuanitaTortilla said...

Too lovely.
I would travel those miles just to feast my eyes on these incredible azulejos.

Μαριανα said...

really special art, Olga.

I would like to decorate my house with some of them, in a pop style. I like how psychedelic some of them are.

:)

Διάττων said...

I have a litle Portuguese thing inside me. Because of their traditional music that i do love it!

Good that you took so nice photos with these Portuguese designs! You act as an artist, Olga!

Paralelo Longe said...

Olga,
Do you believe I'm so proud to see on your blog so many posts about Portugal and portuguese things? I guess Portugal made a very good impression on you so...we have to take care of that...I really want you to grow up that impressions once again and THAT can be easialy done by coming here this Summer (I already know you are coming...) and take lots of pictures to the thousands of AZULEJOS we have here (I don't want you to miss ANYTHING!) and then you can show them again to your blogging friends and we can do this every year...so that we can enjoy your company for many years (I've got lots of plans for the next coming years...I promise you that they are all different!) STRONG HHUUGGSS! TI

Condessa said...

Azulejos históricos = Portugal = Brasil
Mas, hoje: Azulejos Muito modernos

Wini said...

Awesome!