Chinese Paper Cutting

This art form is very popular in China but is hard to come across in Europe - at least I have never seen anything similar to this. If you have - leave a comment, I'm very curious! It existed in China for thousands of years with a long history and different themes and designs. The oldest surviving paper cut out is a symmetrical circle from the 6th century found in Xinjiang. You can visit the blog of Mr Lee - an artist carving paper cut art works. He ezhibits his works there and demonstrates the actual way he is carving on paper:




Images via Mr Lee


The blog is also full of pictures about China reflecting traditions and lifestyle and also has its Travelling in China series.




Images via Mr Lee


Here are paper cuts I found on the window of my hostel room when I was staying in Pingyao during my trip through China last September. I like how they look together with those old window frames. Will be posting more photos from China soon.



Paper cutting works sold on the street in China:


Images by Olga

2 comments:

MLou said...

Thanks for saying hello. Your blog is like a travelogue. Great photos of interesting places all over the globe.

Mr Lee said...

Dear,we are very grateful to you.We will continue our efforts.We hope that we will have the opportunity to cooperate with you.Good luck!