Le Refuge des Fondus

Photobucket
Image by Arek


This is one of those unusual travel tips: in Paris we accidentally came across this place, which is more than just a great fondue restaurant and for the novelty alone, this is a must-see. It’s an experience you won’t soon forget! A tiny, crowded Refuge des Fondues restaurant in Montmartre that serves a one-price menu that includes cheese and meat fondues, an aperitif, and wine.

Photobucket
Image by Olga


You'll be crammed on the benches, reaching over your neighbors to cook meat in hot bouillon and dip vegetables and bread in melted cheese. To sit by the wall I actually needed to climb over the table - but not without help from the waiter ;) But! This place so much fun - you immediately meet people sitting next to you - we got to know French and Spanish people and spent the rest of the evening chatting, taking pictures and laughing like crazy, we even ended up exchanging e-mails :)

Photobucket
Image by Google


The best part is that the wine is served in glass baby bottles! (the rumour has it - this is to avoid a tax on wine served in stemware). And when you finish your first - you will get the second one without asking! It’s a lot of fun, go with a sense of humor and enjoy the young, vibrant atmosphere!


Image by Google


The owner is eccentric and the waiters are notoriously rude and you know the deal when you get in the door and this is great you catch the spirit and you enjoy it in full! The food is amazing, the price absolutely reasonable, and the atmosphere one of a kind. Unfortunately there's no website, but the address is: 17 Rue des Trois Frères.

9 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

My husband (of French descent, no less), LOVES fondue! This looks like THE PLACE to order it, too! What fun! I LOVE dining in places like this! =)

Διάττων said...

You uploaded another unique shop! I noticed the glass baby bottles! Of course the owner is eccentric! What else could he be?

Another nice post! That's why we visit you!

Have a sunny midday, my net friend!

SuvvyGirl said...

The place looks awesome!! Although I don't think I would attempt to climb over to sit by the wall, with as clumsy as I am it would be a catastrophe!!

Floss said...

That looks like an incredibly quirky place! Down here in the south, people are quite decorous, and don't appreciate 'quirky'. Being English, I struggle with that attitude - I would like to visit this restaurent!

I'm having difficulty reading the small text - I think I must have a smaller screen than you! Is there any way you could make your font sizes a little larger, please, Olga? Everything you write is well worth reading...

I love the image you create of Sewdish girls cycling in all their party gear! I cycle in skirts, but only rough ones...

Paralelo Longe said...

Hi Olga,
This place sounds very interesting for having a nice meal and a chat, and the fact that the owner is crazy makes it even more interesting.This kind of deviant behavior is usually an intelligent way to attract customers. And it works! I love Montmartre for the atmosphere and all the history that comes along with the name. Thanks for sharing all these nice places you know in Paris and, surely, you are tempting us to go there on our next visit. A big hug TI

Olga said...

Thank you all for commenting on this post, it's great the place didn't leave you indifferent :)

TI, Montmartre is my favourite place in Paris - absolutely amazing in its spirit and of course incredibly beautiful.. I have many more stories to tell from there...coming soon :D

JuanitaTortilla said...

I am dumbfounded by the image of wine in baby glass bottles!

Olga said...

I kinda like'em :)!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.